My New Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Organic Delight.....



If you already didn't know I love organically grown food. The health benefits overwhelmingly outweigh the increased cost. Here is a "delightful" example of our morning/breakfast fruit salad. Everything is completely organic. No pesticides, herbicides ect. Some products may claim they are organic but always look for the USDA organic seal. I also(when I cook)use meat ie. beef, bison, chicken, turkey that is either organic or was raised with no hormones, antibiotics, or animal byproducts feed ect.

Now listen, I'm also realistic. Not everything I eat or feed my children is organic, but I am trying. When I went to Hawaii last February I was in organic heaven. So many Hawaiian restaurants had organic menu options that I was completely overwhelmed. Just recently the Standard Examiner ran an article on organic food. It estimated that every year we as consumers drink a gallon or so of pesticides (other harmful chemicals). This is mostly from eating fruits and vegetables that are treated with pesticides, herbicides ect.

WalMart, Target, Smith's, Lee's are the main grocery stores where I shop. I am pleased that their organic food options are increasing as time go by. I occasionally will shop at health food stores, but those aren't as convenient.

So anyway......we enjoy eating organic. Just yesterday I picked 7 tomatoes out of my "ALL ORGANIC GARDEN"!!! The first of the season, they were delicious.

0 comments: